Re: Bolding search items on indexed page

From: SRE <eckert(at)>
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 23:46:16 GMT
At 02:21 PM 11/12/01, Bill Moseley wrote:
>For that to work the source has to be split
>up just like swish indexes, stopwords removed, source words stemmed,
>matches up with the query, and then put back together.

But wait - doesn't the index already contain a word position
of some sort? That would reduce the problem to just counting
words properly, not all the stemming and matching. I am
interested in this thread because I really HATE getting
back search results in which I can't find the thing I was
looking for. Commercial search engines do that all the
time because they've found meta content and you can NEVER
highlight that without turning the tags into new content.

mailto:eckert(at) |
Info on peak climbing email lists

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world:
the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
  -- George Bernard Shaw