Re: http indexing and image maps

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 05:46:32 GMT
At 12:19 PM 09/18/01 -0700, Myke Komarnitsky wrote:
>Am I correct in deducing that it is not possible for swish-e to follow
>links that are in the form of client side image maps?

No, I think you should be able to follow those links if you are using the
spider.pl program in the development version.  I haven't tried it, but that
program uses the %HTML::Tagset::linkElements hash (from that perl module)
to extract out links, and <area> is defined in that hash.

But, you must tell the spider.pl program that you want to extract links
from <area> tags.  perldoc spider.pl says:

       link_tags
           This optional tag is a reference to an array of tags.
           Only links found in these tags will be extracted.  The
           default is to only extract links from `a' tags.

So you should be able to specify

     link_tags       => [qw/ a frame area /],

in the config file for spider.pl and it will extract links for those three
tags.

>but indexing using the http method doesn't find those links...

Oh, right, the http method won't find those, although it would probably be
easy enough to modify swishspider to do so.

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org