Re: SWISH-E and Mohnarc

From: <kopplin(at)not-real.technoir.nu>
Date: Sun Sep 16 2001 - 00:51:59 GMT
On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Paul Thomas wrote:

> These fields contain the Subject: text of emails which often contain
> the keyword being searched for. The result is a list of emails is
> presented after a keyword search that only contain the keyword in
> reference links to other pages, not in the text of the email itself.
>
> I would like to eliminate emails being found that only contain the
> keyword in reference links. Hope this isn't too confusing!;^)
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I use mhonarc and swish also for mailing list archives, over
98,000 messages so far. I also had the same question, and asked
here some time ago. Never got a helpful response. So, I came up
with my own solution.

I have mhonarc place an html comment in the message file at the
end of the message body, and before the nav links. Then I hacked
swish-e to stop indexing a file when it hits that comment. I
thought of going further by having a comment both to start
indexing and stop, and therefore only desired sections could be
indexed. Maybe something like this has been added now. I haven't
checked. I started this with 1.3.something, and have just been
moving my hack to newer versions.

Here's what I do. In the mhonarc resource file I have this
section:

<MSGBODYEND>
<HR>
<!-- SWISHSTOP -->
</MSGBODYEND>

which tells mhonarc to end the message body with an <HR> and
then the comment <!--SWISHSTOP-->. This precedes the nav links.

Then in html.c in the swish-e source, I added an if statement
between the check for the META TAG and before the general check
for COMMENTs. NOTE: this is in Swish-e 2.1.20 source, so things
may not be the same any more.

} /* Check for META TAG TYPE 2 */

<<<some long lines handling the META TAG snipped for
email clarity>>>

/* MJK -- added this next if to stop indexing current file
   if a comment <!-- SWISHSTOP --> is found.
   */

else if ((tag[0]=='!') && lstrstr(tag,"SWISHSTOP"))
{
     p=NULL;
}

/*  Check for COMMENT */

May not be the best solution, but it has worked well for me.

Regards,
Mike Kopplin