Re: Rule of thumb conf file

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Aug 22 2001 - 16:37:16 GMT
On Tue, 21 Aug 2001 CONDLEJ@chplink.chp.edu wrote:

> I have got Swish-e up and running.  Now it is time to learn how to get the most
> out of it.  When setting up the conf file are some basic rules to follow.

My rule of thumb is to use as few config file directives as possible.

> What I want to do is the following.  I want to setup three differerent indexs.
> Two will be searched separaetly when you are in those sections.  The third index
> will be a combination of the two so you can search the whole site.

This is in the 2.2 FAQ.

You have a couple of options.  You can specify more than one index with -f
when searching to search multiple indexes at the same time.

You can also use a new feature to Extract part of a path out of the file
path and then use that to limit searches to part of the index.  See the
2.2 CHANGES file for ExtractPath

> I have picked the FileSystem Method for this.  What are the differences between
> FileSystem and HTTP?

This should be in the FAQ, but I didn't see it just now.  I'm sure it's in
the docs someplace ;)  One method finds (spiders) files via a web server
and one traverses the file system to find files to index.

> What does the IndexPointer directive point to?

It points to nothing.  It's just some text you can store in the index.  It
can be anything you like, like the command used to create the index, or a
name to remind you of what the index is.

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org