Re: Searching for a phrase...

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 20:09:30 GMT
At 12:54 PM 08/15/01 -0700, FISHER,JOSEPH (Non-HP-Roseville,ex1) wrote:
>I should say that; my HTML-based search engine in working as it's supposed
>to... Except that it doesn't work with "enclosed phrases"...
>
>On the other hand, my command line search doesn't seem to be working at
>all... That's not really a problem for me, as ALL of my users will use the
>HTML interface...

Huh?  I'm not sure what the difference is between the command line search
and the html-based search you mention.

>Here's a copy of my command line output:
>
>--> ../swish-e/swish-e -w '"Contract Role"' -f ./WFM.indx
>
># SWISH format 1.3

Maybe you are not running a version of swish that even supports phrase
searches.

Try upgrading to at least 2.0.5.

>One other concern...
>
>In Unix, characters are Case Sensitive...
>
>Are characters Case Sensitive in SWISH-E?

no.

>I tried a different "phrase" search, using the following phrase: "retrieval
>slow when using"...
..
># Search words: "retrieval slow using"

>Notice that the word "when" was ommitted from the search string... I typed
>"retrieval slow when using", but the search engine only shows "retrieval
>slow using"... This is NOT an exact match...

Looks like the stop word was removed.  This is normal and to be expected.

>When using quotes, the search engine should NOT remove un-indexed words...

Why do you say that?  If "when" is a stop word, then it's not indexed.  So
then you would not want to use it in a search -- phrase or not -- otherwise
the search would fail.

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org