Re: swish-cgi.pl for swish 2

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 14:19:54 GMT
At 03:58 AM 8/2/2001 -0700, TIMO HARMO wrote:
>I have a system for indexing and searching our thesis-abstracts
>on the web. It is currently using a slightly modified version of
>swish-cgi.pl (by John Millard). Now I'm contemplating the move
>to swish 2 and I wonder:

Hi,

> - how much work that will be,
> - has someone already done that
> -Should I rather switch to some other script/library

I would wait until 2.2 is released, instead of upgrading to 2.0 at this time.

Yes, some people are using 2.1-dev in production now.

What script you use is up to you.  There is an example script included in
the distribution - you can see an example of it in use at
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu:4444/archive/swish.cgi

> -Will using the new version correct the problems of case-
>sensitive national characters (ascii >127)

Which problem?  Sorting?  Yes, you will be able to define the sort order in
2.2.

>  (and whether I will be able to index words containing a dash?
>Search for "swish-cgi.pl" fails even at
> http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/SWISH-E/Discussion/archive.html)

That's just a config setting.  Adjust your WordCharacters settings if you
want a dash to be part of a word.

Note that in 2.x you can search for swish-cgi.pl by placing it in quotes.
The example script doesn't highlight correctly in that case, but it's still
returning the correct documents.  Highlighting phrases kind of kills the
script's performance.

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org