Re: FW: Using Swish-E on Solaris 8

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 14:59:33 GMT
At 07:50 AM 07/12/01 -0700, Una Cullen wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am just starting to look at using Swish-E on Solaris and I have a
>> couple of questions?
>> Would I be able to run Swish-E on Solaris 8, patch level 108528-07
>> February 2001? The documentation only states it has been tested on
>> Solaris 2.5.1.
>> Also, would Swish-E support indexing files on different machines, ie.
>> in a clustered environment, or do the files all have to be on the same
>> machine?

I'm probably not the one to answer, but if Solaris 8 is running in 64 bit
mode then there may be problems.  (And whatever you can report back would
be interesting.)

I don't see any problems indexing across multiple machines -- you just need
access via NFS or httpd.

Which version of swish to use is a valid question.  It's hard for me not to
recommend anything but the development version at:

http://sunsite.berekely.edu:4444/swish-daily/

Granted it's a development version, but it is much improved over previous
versions, IMO.

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org