Re: Web Page listing software necessary when installing

From: AusAqua <ausaqua(at)not-real.yp-connect.net>
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 14:29:51 GMT
Hi,

Thanks to Chris for putting together the summary of requirements for
swish-e.  This is a most helpful thing for a newbie such as myself.

I have a couple of questions for the group, and would be grateful if you
would indulge me.

A little background.  I've been looking for a web site host who can provide
me with FTP and Telnet access, as well as access to Perl and the modules
described by Chris Blackstone (LWP, MIME::Base64, URI, HTML::Parser,
Digest::MD5, Net::FTP from libnet, HTML::Tagset), on their server.  The best
candidate can provide all but the Perl modules (Perl 5 is provided) on a
Linux platform.  No compiler access though.  I imagine that I could load the
modules within my web site space for use by PERL or swish as required.  This
now brings me to my question to the Swish Group:

"Do the modules need to be in the same directory as PERL (or Swish), in
order to be accessible to PERL & Swish, or can they in fact be loaded
anywhere within my web site and still be accessed as required by the web
host's Perl program?"

Another approach on which I'd appreciate comment, might be to load swish,
Perl, the modules described above, and a copy of my Web Site onto a Linux
platform hard drive, then do the indexing on that drive, before FTPing the
indexes and swish-e into appropriate directories on the hosted web site
(also Linux platform).  Now to my question to the group:

"Are the modules (described above) needed only at the time of swish's
indexing of the web site, or are they also needed at such times as someone
accesses the Web Page to do a "search" of the indexes on the site ?"

Andrew L.