here goes a newbie for stepping on toes....

From: Jerry Asher <jerry(at)not-real.hollyjerry.org>
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 01:06:17 GMT
Hey guys, so I've been playing with SWISH-E for about 12 hours now, so I am
well aware that even well intentioned comments are likely to raise
hackles....  So, um, I don't mean to, and apologize in advance.

I am trying to generate an AOLserver plugin interface to SWISH-E.

I am following the library spec found in 4444/SWISH-LIBRARY.html

What's complicating my life is that there doesn't really seem to be a
separable client library for SWISH-E.  Headers files are enormous and
define all sorts of structure that the client doesn't care about and that
go way beyond what is called for in the SWISH-E library spec.  The header
files detail all sorts of fields that the client most likely shouldn't have
access to, in particular a RESULT.

So for instance, I would have thought that a SwishNext routine would return
more opaque data structures.  Certainly a data structure consisting of ints
and strings and not pointers.

Stem is interesting.  It doesn't appear to be an interface/library function
at all, since it feels free to efree and emalloc (using the swish internal
memory routines) on the structures that are passed in (char **inword).  I
would have thought a Stem library function would take in a string and maybe
feel up a string buffer in return, but that it would certainly not use an
internal memory routine on passed in strings.

Anyway, there have been some other little gotchas too.  DEBUG_MASK needs to
be defined in the library even though it is only used for debugging the
indexing routines.

So without meaning to step on anyone's toes, what's the state of the
library?  Am I using an old/incorrect document?  How would the project be
of significant changes to SWISH-E intended to make building libraries easier?

What should I be doing?

Thank you,

Jerry Asher
Jerry Asher                       jerry@hollyjerry.org
1678 Shattuck Avenue Suite 161    Tel: (510) 549-2980
Berkeley, CA 94709                Fax: (877) 311-8688