Re: using the library: thread/process safety and

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 15:51:20 GMT
At 08:33 AM 06/04/01 -0700, jmruiz@boe.es wrote:
>As Bill points, the library is thread/safe for search in 2.1.
>All the memory allocated in SwishOpen, SwishSearch, etc
>should be freed in SwishClose. I do not know at this moment
>if there is any remaining memory leak.
>
>But this is not optimal because there are not any shared memory.
>In other words: If you have 2 threads and both of them opens the
>same index, the header data of this index is twice in memory
>although this data is identical.

Jose,

I was wondering if a single thread thread could pool and manage open
indexes (pool handles returned by SwishOpen(), and then share those with
other threads).  But, now I'm not so sure that would work since the SWISH
structure does get modified during a search.

I know you can open with SwishOpen() and then run multiple queries, but I'm
not clear if more than one thread could run queries with the same handle at
the same time.

Maybe a threaded application might cache the indexlist, and then when a
request comes in call SwishOpen() and SwishAttach() so the thread get's its
own copy of the data structures.  Actually, I'm not clear where the best
optimization would be.  Any ideas?

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org