Re: newbie swish questions....

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 12:57:44 GMT
At 03:24 AM 06/02/01 -0700, Jerry Asher wrote:
>I downloaded what appeared to be the most recent version, 2.0.5 from
>sunsite, but I just received an email from a swish user who is using
>2.1.  Where can I find the 2.1 version, and what is its status: alpha,
>beta, ...?

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu:4444/swish-daily/

You might check the list archives, as this has come up often.  The
developers think that 2.1 is stable and there have been many improvements
and bug fixes from previous versions.  Still, that URL will get you to the
CVS snapshots, and it's possible to get a snapshot in the middle of a
change.  But, in general, the snapshots are rather stable these days.

We are pushing for a 2.2 pre release soon.

>I want to build an interface between swish and aolserver.  I suspect I need
>the swish library, but in 2.0.5 at least, the makefile doesn't appear to
>make making the library easy.  How do I build the library?

In 2.1

>make
>make test
>su root
>make install-lib

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu:4444/INSTALL.html#Installing_the_SWISH_E_C_Library

The library will allow you to embed swish into another application.  This
allows you to avoid the forking of an external program (swish) and can be
used to keep an index loaded between search requests, which should be
faster.  The trade off is memory, as, for example, if you created an Apache
module you would end up with a copy of swish in every Apache child process,
including the memory used by the index.

My limited experience when testing an embedded swish on my linux machine
with Apache was that I didn't see much shared memory, and that linux was so
good at caching the swish-e binary that I didn't see that much improvement
in speed between using the library and the binary when tested with Apache
Benchmark.

There's been a lot of work to make swish thread safe, with the goal of
building a swish server, which would be a lot nicer on memory usage for
something like Apache.

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org