Re: last modified date in swish-e index file

From: Steve McMillen <stevemc(at)not-real.real.com>
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 01:21:42 GMT
I was testing the new feature for lastmodified date in the latest 2.1
dev release and I think I found a bug with the indexing of binary files
but I need confirmation on if this is a bug or expected behavior.

In 1.3 and 2.0.5 I was able to index a .doc or .xls file even though it
was binary.  Now when I index these types of files I get the following
error:

Warning: Possible embedded null in file '/www/html/.../SurveyQues

The same file works fine for indexing and searching in 2.0.5.

I notice that in 2.1 there is a Document Filter Directive to preprocess
a file in an external program.  Is this now required (and what I am
seeing above is expected behavior) or should I still be able to index
binary files (and thus, should I report my issue above as a bug?).

I should add that is is very convenient that swish 2.0.5 just indexed
the files 'as-is'.   If I do have to use the Document Filter, can i just
run the files thru the UNIX strings command?  All I really care about is
the strings inside the file anyays.

thx, steve