Can't compile Swish-e 1.3.2 on FreeBSD 4.2.1

From: Jack Of Swords <JackOfSwords(at)not-real.jackofswords.com>
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 17:12:14 GMT
Hi!

Searched the archive and found some similar problems - but not quite
anything that will help me -

I altered the path in the make file to gcc so that it was correct for my
system.  When I try and make I get:

viper:~/temp/src$ make
"Makefile", line 30: Unassociated shell command "hash.o list.o mem.o
string.o me
"ge.o swish.o stemmer.o docprop.o $(FILESYSTEM_OBJS) $(HTTP_OBJS)
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

So I looked at line 30 - and it's a continuation of the previous line, so I
figured that for some reason it would not parse on my system and altered it
from:
OBJS=   check.o file.o index.o search.o error.o methods.o\
         hash.o list.o mem.o string.o merge.o swish.o stemmer.o docprop.o
to:
OBJS=   check.o file.o index.o search.o error.o methods.o hash.o list.o
mem.o string.o merge.o swish.o stemmer.o docprop.o

(no line break)

and when I now try to make I get:
viper:~/temp/src$ make
"Makefile", line 30: Missing dependency operator
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

Any Ideas?