RE: SWISH, SSL, Linux

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 15:22:52 GMT
At 07:55 AM 05/11/01 -0700, Rainer.Scherg@rexroth.de wrote:
>- Files from an IIS server
>   Yes,
>    - if you can use a netshare  (indexing method: filesystem):  faster
>    - if you want to spider (indexing method: http) also possible, but
>      slower (of course)

FWIW:

Some months back I was indexing files on my Win98 machine from a linux
machine on a LAN using Samba to read the Win98 share.  It was very slow, so
I ran Apache on the Win98 machine and it was much faster reading the files
via http.
Not what I expected, but there's probably more overhead with the share that
with http.

Perhaps my Samba setup is not optimized, and maybe windows to windows LAN
would be much faster than Samba.  This I don't know.

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org