RE: Indexing over 1,100 files

From: Michael Derrick Whang <mwhang(at)not-real.hawaii.edu>
Date: Sat Apr 28 2001 - 01:03:56 GMT
The problem we are experiencing in the library's digital archive
collections, which house approx. 1,100 .html files, is that when a user
types in a search for say "Palau", SWISHE boggs down and the user never
gets a hit list.

When my system administrator instructed SWISHE v.1.x to index only a
hundred files or so in the problem directory....the search funcion worked
okay.

It was suggested that the OS might be the problem, but I'm too
inexperienced to investigate that further until the system administrator
recovers from illness.

I cannot provide you folks with the URL to the search dialogue box because
i disabled the link to the /cgi-bin/ for the time being.

In conclusion, I'm just trying to document possible problem areas for the
system administrator so that we could investigate the problem together.

I really appreciate everyone's input to my query.

Much is appreciated sincerely.

Mahalo,
Michael Whang

Univ. of Hawaii