Re: Search ranking question...

From: Bill Meier <bill(at)not-real.insulators.com>
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 19:50:32 GMT
At 01:49 PM 04/27/01, Bill Moseley wrote:
>What I was looking at when you posted is the ranking when using -f with
>more than one index.  Ranking is related to the number of files in the
>index, so it may be that your merge is throwing off the rank.  I didn't
>look at merged indexes.

A few people responded that there is a (known problem?) with swish ranking
when multiple files are merged. So, I'll leave that as a separate issue
that I believe has been discussed, and hopefully added to the "wish list".
(at least this was true with v1.3 which I was using)

I built "swish-daily" and regenerated my index file in one chunk with -e,
and presto! I got all the results in the order I expected them!

But, I don't like "the fix" (i.e. work around). Because I soon do have
plans to make a merged index from a variety of web sites, and it would be
nice if the ranking worked better across a merged index file!

So, that's the status for the moment!

FYI, swish builds and runs fine on Virtual FreeBSD 4.2 on Intel hardware if
no one knew ;-)

Thanks for the replies so far!

Bill