updating autoconf changes in cvs

From: Bas Meijer <bas(at)not-real.antraciet.nl>
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 10:31:05 GMT
Hi Developers,

I hope to find time end of year to look into a better autoconf for swish-e 2.1
In it's present form it lacks: AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS(src doc perl) and such.
For this to work I think it's best to split the configuration work in
directories which have their own configure and Makefile.in. The
toplevel would just drive the lower levels.

I want to be able to make parts independently and incrementally after changes.

configure in principle has bindir, libdir and libexecdir
perhaps libdir for perl and libexecdir for the c library?

Now for commiting autoconf changes to cvs:
config.cache, config.log, config.status and(!) Makefile are
'temporary' files that only mean something on the build host, they
should be removed before distribution or commit. The setup is clean
when you do the following:

$ vi configure.in Makefile.in
$ autoconf  (produces configure)
$ ./configure
$ make realclean (removes the unnecessary files)
$ cvs ci -m 'message' Makefile.in configure configure.in

You should run configure to produce the Makefile so make realclean
can cleanup, this will also remove Makefile itself (this should be
so, it's realclean, a clean start)

TO DO

perhaps we can add 'make dist' which wraps it all up to put on the
website or other distribution.

make install should work when moved to a production server without c compiler.

src/Makefile.in lacks suffix rules for libraries.

make html would by default install in /usr/doc/swish-e I don't know
any other default html storage locations on other systems (except
$DOCUMENT_ROOT). If anyone has ideas let me know.

hope this helps,

Bas

--

--  /'''     Bas Meijer, Antraciet