Re: Crash in Swish-e 1.3.2

From: David Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 07:37:01 GMT
DSmith@Eviciti.com wrote:
> I have found that if a file extension is more than 11 characters
> long, indexing in swish-e crashes on Windows.  I'm using the
> Windows builds of version 1.3.2 (or 1.3.1) from David Norris.
>
> I noticed in the archives that this problem has been around
> for a while.

Well, I don't remember ever hearing about it.

I have done some simple testing.  SWISH-E's limit appears to be 16
characters on the file extension in my test on Windows 98.  16
characters works and 17 characters causes it to hang indefinitely and
use it's entire CPU allotment (Running Win 98 in a VM on Linux).

Are you using Windows 95/98/Me or Windows NT/2000?

I'll try to determine the problem and fix it.

I have some ideas why this is occurring after reading through the Win32
API documentation.  Windows 9x filenames, including parent directories,
are limited to 260 characters.  The old function call used in SWISH-E is
limited to 128 characters.  The directory routines used in SWISH-E are a
DOS to BSD compatibility library dating back to 1987.  They were last
updated in 1992 for Windows NT.  Perhaps this is the problem.  There are
enormous differences between the call SWISH-E is using (OpenFile) and
the one MS recommends using (CreateFile).  Main difference is that
Microsoft refers to OpenFile() as a 16-bit compatibility function.

CreateFile is supposedly ANSI POSIX "compliant".  Although I haven't
bothered to figure out what exactly they mean by "compliant" in this
situation.

OpenFile()
  http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/winbase/filesio_0cth.htm

CreateFile()
  http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/winbase/filesio_7wmd.htm

--
,David Norris
  ICQ Universal Internet Number - 412039

"I would never belong to a club that would have me as a member!"
                                          - Groucho Marx