RE: Document Summaries/Descriptions

From: <jmruiz(at)not-real.boe.es>
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 18:42:10 GMT
Hi,

I agree with Rainer's opinion about summaries.

Just another point of view. If the summary is stored with
the filepath, all the file related data is contiguous in the
index file, making retrievals faster (less I/O may be expected).

If we use properties, at least we need one extra I/O operation
because the data is not contiguous.

BTW, this makes me thinking why swish-e is using just one unique
index file. The only reason that comes to my mind is simplicity, but...

- The total index file is limited to 2GB (well, I know that probably our
sites are not like google).
- Updating, inserting and deleting is really hard to do. It should be
easier with several files. Eg: one for the header and words, another
one for words'data, another one for file's data and another one for
the properties.

What do you think?

cu
Jose