Re: Re: "Chevra" ??

From: William Malin <blvdmaster(at)not-real.venturablvd.com>
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 03:32:58 GMT
I discovered the nature of the problem was in a hidden ASCII character that found its way into some of my swish-e conf files. I have a lot of files to index, and little memory on the machine that runs swish, so I have many conf files, each in charge of indexing sections of my site in order to be combined later into one master index. I tend to cut-and-paste code/text and, somehow, one of the bits text I've been using as a "template" in my .conf files contained an invisible character that was wreaking havoc all over my little swish-world. Having rid myself of this, everything is as it should be now....

BTW [kudos for swish-e]: Swish continues to be the best search software I've ever implemented, or better TRIED to implement (remember the Excite for Web Servers tool?? needs about 50mb RAM just to start). And I've enjoyed this discussion group since it started (have it all archived), even though I do not contribute very often -- I'm always reading posts to this board and learning more about swish .....

Thanks for your attention.

All the best from,

Bill Malin
owner/webmaster
Ventura Blvd on the Web
http://www.venturablvd.com
818.785.5555

    "...the premier Valley-specific Web site."
     - the L.A. Times 6/15/99