Re: Odd result with searching multiple indexes

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 13:19:35 GMT
At 01:40 AM 09/22/00 -0700, jmruiz@boe.es wrote:
>If you do not like this message, we can do two things:
>
>1- Preserve the search string in the search function of swish-e and
>show the original one. Anyway, at this moment the original string is
>never written because the stopwords are removed from the query.

No, I depend on Swish returning the search string: The # Search words:
header returns the search words converted into "swish words" which means to
me that it's been split by Wordcharacters, IgnoreFirst and IgnoreLast
characters have been removed, and stop words have been removed.  I use that
returned string for highlighting the words in the source text.

With phrase searches it's a slightly different story as I now need to know
what all the stop words are, so I can ignore them in my source text when
looking for phrases to highlight.

>2- Since your cgi script has the original search string, you can use
>it.

I can, it just means I need to know Wordcharacters, IgnorFirst and Last,
and the Stop words to convert string of words into "swish words" and that I
do it exactly like swish does during indexing.

Or a third option, which is what I'm currently doing:

3) Ignore the second # Search words: header.

index with that index's settings taken into consideration since each index
can have different stopwords and Wordcharacters and Ignore settings.

But searching indexes with different indexing settings will generate
confusing results.

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org