Re: metaphone word indexing/searching

From: David Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 01:38:57 GMT
brent verner wrote:
> Now... I've attached a replacement src/soundex.c that uses the
> metaphone algorithm, which gives substantially better results than
> the soundex method. If you'd like to try it, just replace the
> src/soundex.c file with the one attached. If anyone out there tries
> this, please let me know what your thoughts about it are.

Sounds good to me.  I'll try it on Windows and BSD next chance I get.
I've been wanting to add a better sound matching algorithm.  It would be
nice if we could devise some way to handle other languages.

The Soundex code was added simply for searching names in a manner
compatible with US Census Soundex records.  It is definitely a poor way
to match sounds.  Someone asked and it was simple to add.

--
,David Norris
  ICQ Universal Internet Number - 412039

"I would never belong to a club that would have me as a member!"
                                          - Groucho Marx