Re: Re: performance comparison

From: David Norris <dave(at)>
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 18:23:09 GMT wrote:
> Thus, I am also sure the answer to the slow performance is:
> your linux box is paging!!!

I would tend to agree.  Especially since SWISH++ is so much faster.  As
was mentioned, SWISH++ has the advantage of using mmap calls so it
doesn't use much memory.  Paging is really slow.  Hopefully some day
this problem with SWISH-E will be addressed by someone ambitious.

If I get some time I may try SWISH-E 2.0, 1.3, and SWISH++ on a subset
of my Linux /usr/doc just to see how they compare on my system.  It will
also give me the chance to play with the memory profiler ;-)

,David Norris
  Dave's Web -
  Dave's Weather -
  ICQ Universal Internet Number - 412039
  E-Mail -

"I would never belong to a club that would have me as a member!"
                                          - Groucho Marx