More on Swish Library

From: <jmruiz(at)not-real.boe.es>
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 16:16:14 GMT
Hi Bill,

More about swish-e library...

> It does use some memory, though.  My mod_perl processes were going from 8MB
> to over 20MB.  Is that expected?  Get twenty of so Apache children running
> and that's a bit of memory (although I wonder how much is shared).  I also
> wonder if it would use less memory to use a swish server process.  And I
> wonder if that would be much slower.

I have tested your program, and you are right. The library has a
severe bug in memory management when trying to execute more
than one search without reopen the index file. This is the reason
for the segfault.

Moreover, there is a memory leak: a small amount of memory is
not freed after each search:
I have looked at the memory used by test.pl and it is always
increasing. It needs upto 3 Meg of RAM in a Solaris box but I do not
know wich is the part required for the perl interpreter.

I have fixed the segfault but I have applied the fix to a more
advanced version, with a rewritten index engine and a different
index file format (the header changes the way it is stored).
I will try to release it this week (I hope) with a couple of new
functions. I also want to close swish-e-2.0 (no more bug reports)
after adding a better way to build the code (using autoconf files
from Bas Meier) and some minor changes to the README files.

cu
Jose