Re: Perl and Swish-e 2.0

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 19:03:22 GMT
At 09:05 AM 08/03/00 -0700, jmruiz@boe.es wrote:
>> A function interfaced to the xs module would be fine, but how about an
>> object approach?
>>

>I feel more comfortable with the "classic" approach instead of the
>object approach. But these are just my feelings. Perhaps I am
>getting old...

Hey, that's my excuse.

Anyway, it would be nice to build the interface as an object -- if for no
other reason to be like all the other cool CPAN modules....  But it also
might allow the perl interface to be standardized and not break when adding
features to Swish3.0 ;)

For example, it might be possible to build the interface so that if in the
future someone builds a nice threaded swish server that changing over from
the perl library version to the server version wouldn't break existing code.

My Perl OO skills aren't that great, but I could take a stab at it.  I'd
just want to debate and decide on a good interface on this list first.

On another note about the C library:  Could you include a call to the
stemmer?   It's needed for highlighting search terms when using stemming.
Right now I have an xs version for perl that I used for highlighting search
terms in swish results, but it would be nice if it was available as part of
the library.

Thanks,

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org