severe swish-e problem (1.3.2)

From: <Rainer.Scherg(at)not-real.rexroth.de>
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 12:30:38 GMT
Hi,

I our company a severe problem with swish-e (1.3.2-filter) occured.

What happend:

  Someone executed a search for "r*" - due to our large index
  (16000 documents) it takes swish "a little" time to get the
  result.
  Due to the response/search time the user executed the search
  request several times. But this was not the main problem.

  Swish-e uses a vast(!) amount of memory. In our cases 2GB.
  This caused our main server (large SUN-Server, with 0.8 TBytes)
  to be rebooted (manually), because other processes failed due
  to a lack of swapspace/memory, etc...

  Remark: I used the swish-option  "-m 500"

There may be the following solutions to this problem:

  - use a seperate machine for the search engine (e.g. a cheap
    linux box)

  - reject short query requests in the CGI script executing the
    swish-e program.

  - restrict swish-e (via an option swish, or compile switch) to
    a maximum of internal result enries (this differs to the
    "-m" Option).  I know there may be implications the the
    search results (quality, sorting, return results, etc...)
    But this could prevent a worst case scenario...)

Any ideas to this?

- rainer

This Mail has been checked for Viruses

* * *

Diese Mail wurde auf Viren ueberprueft
Hinweis: Verschluesselte Mails koennen NICHT geprueft werden !