Re: New version: swish-e-1.3.2-PHRASEo.tar.gz

From: David Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 04:54:35 GMT
Jose Manuel Ruiz wrote:
> Here is swish-e-1.3.2-PHRASEo.tar.gz

Wow!  The indexer does seem very fast!

I have a major, however obscure, problem with searching.

This occurs on FreeBSD/2.2.7-STABLE (Pentium III 450 MHz) and
Linux/2.2.14-15mdksecure (AMD K6-2 500 MHz) using different versions of
GCC (2.7 on BSD and 2.95.2 on Linux).

The problem has something to do with the index headers. When I search an
index it hangs until I kill it.  It seems to be related to the exact
number of characters in all of the combined Index* header options except
IndexDir (i.e. those stored in the index file's header).  It does not
seem to matter which characters are used.  Also, if I edit the headers
after they have been stored in the test.idx file it does NOT fix the
problem.  The number of characters seems to be the most important
factor.  If I add or remove one character from these options it searches
fine.  Double-Quotation marks " around values do not seem to affect it;
I have left them out with no change in behavior.  Spaces may change
behavior; It seems that the problem is less predictable when I change
spaces to other characters in the IndexDescription option.

Here is an example config which does not search correctly:
# Copy of filters.html and test.html
IndexDir ./html
#Example options which break search:
IndexFile "test.idx"
IndexName "Qyl Crijoa"
IndexDescription "O lasqing if all ajcopoloc frioxs at VaraNone Crink
Rdjkpes"
IndexAdmin "mkson Jarxh, 1qasonopspajairacqm4"
IndexPointer "attpAopwkwatonsaslcperojoaoax"

Index Command line:
   ./swish-e -c test.cnf
Search Command Line:
   ./swish-e -f test.idx -w test

Unrelated:
  I think it might be nice to include a project file for Microsoft
Visual C++ with SWISH-E 2.0.  I can provide a project/make file for
MSVC.  I have been asked on numerous occassions how to build SWISH-E on
Windows.  That should make it easier to build on Windows.

--
,David Norris
  ICQ Universal Internet Number - 412039