Re: Problem with FS method.

From: Bruce Bowler <bbowler(at)not-real.bigelow.org>
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 12:32:13 GMT
At 06:12 PM 4/6/00 , Steve Thomas wrote:
>Bruce Bowler wrote:
> >
> > Stupid question #2
> >
> > I have a rule that reads
> >
> > FileRules filename contains # % ~ .bak .orig .old old. .gif .mov .jpg .jpeg
> > .mpg .tiff .zip .hqz
> >
> > The documentation on the web site says...
> >
> >          filename contains string1 string2 string3 ...
> >                  Any file name containing these strings will be ignored
> > (this is not case-sensitive). This cannot be a path.
> >
> > Yet this file (P000151.GIF (3353 words)) shows up in the output.  Me thinks
> > there might be a bug either in the documentation or the code?
>
>Maybe the documentation. The 'strings' are actually regular expressions
>-- so, aside from anything else, you should really escape the period, as
>in "\.bak" -- because the period on its own means "any character".
>
>Try adding "\.GIF" and see if it then excludes the file -- then we'll
>know if its really case insensitive or not.

I'll point out that . did match any character, it happened to be another .
:-)  I did add .GIF (both escaped and unescaped, two different runs) and it
did exclude the file (in both cases) so it would seem that either the docs
or the code is wrong (I'll admit to not having looked at the code yet, so
it may be obvious).

Bruce Bowler                             207.633.9600 (voice)
Research Associate                       207.633.9641 (fax)
Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences    bbowler@bigelow.org
West Boothbay Harbor ME  04575           http://www.bigelow.org/