Re: Phrase search

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 22:33:59 GMT
At 07:33 AM 03/29/00 -0800, Jose Manuel Ruiz wrote:
>Now comes the hard part to code:
>- How to search for an exact phrase? I think that searching
>in the same way freewais-sf does could be a good idea (using
>the character ' as delimiter). For example: 'Berkeley University'.

Seems like you should allow both double and single quotes, and it would be
cool if unquoted strings that were phrases ranked higher.

>Any more ideas?

Would, say, a period at the end of a sentence bump the word position
counter?  What about stop words?  I assume they wouldn't count in the word
position.

So searching for 'Berkeley University' find a document that contained this:

...many fast food restaurants can be found in Berkeley.  A University is
located there, also....

>Minor improvement:
>- I think it is posible to get better compression if the
>positions of the words are stored incrementally. For example:
>Original sequence of positions: 25 366 598 2345 2500
>Incremental sequence of positions: 25 341 232 1747 155

Are the positions stored null terminated binary string or in ASCII?

>I would like to know if this work can be useful to more
>people.

People would love phrase searching.

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org