Re: New cgi script using metadata

From: David Norris <dave(at)>
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 02:40:01 GMT
Steve Thomas wrote:
> Others might be interested in what I've been doing with swish-e and
> metadata. Primarily, what I wanted to do was to be able to create files
> of metadata, index them with swish-e, but have the search results point
> users to the actual files described by the metadata, rather than the
> metadata files.

That sounds like a reasonable solution.  I have experimented with
similar things.  Indexing only the metadata has its merits in many
cases.  I do try to keep the metadata with the document where possible
(i.e. HTML).  But, seperating it in some cases has definite
possibilities (nonHTML metadata is one definite plus).

> enhancements to swish-e to make all this a bit...
> 1. an option to have dc.title replace title in the index;
> 2. an option to have dc.identifier replace file name in the index;
> 3. an option to limit indexing to just the HEAD part of an html file
> 4. an option to recognise and index rdf data, in the same ways.

Excellent ideas.  Have you thought about having swish-e call an external
script or program to do some of this?  A custom spider might be able to
do some of those things more efficiently and flexibly (I don't think
anything inherently limits the spider to http).

,David Norris
  Open Server Architecture Project -
  Dave's Web -
  ICQ Universal Internet Number - 412039