problem about parser

From: Kei <97909585d(at)not-real.polyu.edu.hk>
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 17:34:25 GMT
Hi everybody

I cut some part of swishspider and I have some questions

if( $response->code() == RC_OK ) {
    my $contents = $response->content();

    open( CONTENTS, ">$localpath.contents" ) || die( "Could not open
contents file $localpath.contents\n" );
print CONTENTS $contents;
    close( CONTENTS );
    if( $response->header("content-type") eq "text/html" ) {
 open( LINKS, ">$localpath.links" ) || die( "Could not open links file
$localpath.links\n" );
 $p = HTML::LinkExtor->new( \&linkcb, $url );
 $p->parse( $contents );
 close( LINKS );

What is the usages and functions of $p->parse($contents); Because I see
its document but I don't know what is it doing? and why does it place
here in swishspider? is it a fix pattern or some other meaning? Also, If
I want to remove all </tags> in HTML, how to do that? Does the C program
do this part(remove all <tags>)? Which file does it? Thank you