Re: CPU usage ober 50%, swish-e crash

From: David Norris <dave(at)>
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 03:12:14 GMT
Wenlong Wang wrote:
> I am new here. We just installed swish-e on IBM AIX machine. When we run
> swish-e, we found that the CPU usage was over 50%. It affects the web
> server a lot. We want to limit the CPU usage of swish-e to less than
> 20%.

Well, assuming SWISH-E is functioning properly (even if it isn't), can't
you just nice it to 15 or 20 or something safe?  I assume AIX is a Unix
and has nice/renice.  I'd probably never run something like SWISH under
under 10 priority on a loaded machine.  Even if it doesn't use much CPU,
I'd still want to choke it back in case something goes awry.

> In addition, when we run swish-e to index a directory with about total
> 25 MB files and subdirectories, swish-e run about 2 hours and then
> crashed. There was no output file.

Which version of SWISH-E?  A recent one?  I like the binary file
theory.  In a perfect SWISH, this wouldn't be a major issue.  But, I'd
also not rule out a bug.  This sort of stuff has been a problem with
SWISH in the past.  Make sure you're not indexing strange file formats.
If it still crashes, then I'd be looking around for problems.

,David Norris
  Open Server Architecture Project -
  Dave's Web -
  ICQ Universal Internet Number - 412039