RE: some questions of swishspider

From: Chris Humphries <ChrisJMH(at)not-real.vermilion99.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 15:32:48 GMT
Dear Kei,

The best person to ask about the Swish Spider is Ron Samuel Klatchko.
Address your messages to the discussion group at

swish-e@sunsite.berkeley.edu

(I can see that you have cc'ed a copy of your email to this address, so
that should be fine)

As far as I know, the Swish Spider is a Perl program which enables Swish-E
to Spider sites on the Web. It reads through links on Web documents (such
as the <a href="website"></a> links) enabling Swish-E to index those
documents.

To use the Spider, use the "-S http" option on the Swish-E command line. In
the .config file,  set the spider's maximum depth using "MaxDepth" and the
starting document using "IndexDir".

You are recommended to use the HTTP file access method, i.e. the spidering
method, only when you cannot use the FILESYSTEM method. This is because the
HTTP method is slower.

Note:
Although the documentation says that you cannot use "NoContents" when using
the HTTP method, this does appear to work, and is a useful way of getting
Swish-E to ignore certain files you do not wish to index.

Chris Humphries