Re: Too common words

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 13:25:35 GMT
At 04:16 AM 02/07/00 -0800, Michiel Dethmers wrote:
>This roque stopword "and" discussion reminded me of a problem I
>have with too common words. If you search on a word which by
>itself would return "word too common", but you "and" it with
>another search word it doesn't return any results. Makes sense,
>but it would be nice for the user to give an error of the kind. "one or
>more search words too common". Anyone else experienced this?

A few quick printf() statements lead me to:

In config.h

#define IGNORE_STOPWORDS_IN_QUERY 0

BTW -- I think there's a bug when that's set to 1.  On my Win32 version
Swish  crashes when it's set to one, and I search for a common word and
another word.  For example, if 'stop' is a stop word and I search for 'stop
and word'.

I'm not clear why that IGNORE_STOPWORDS_IN_QUERY was added.

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org