Fwd: Re: Configuration Problems

From: J. Steven Harrison <steve(at)not-real.sns.com>
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 20:58:56 GMT
>Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 09:51:43 -0800 (PST)
>Sender: swish-e@sunsite.berkeley.edu
>From: Ron Samuel Klatchko <rsk@brightmail.com>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <swish-e@sunsite.berkeley.edu>
>Subject: [SWISH-E] Re: Configuration Problems
>
>"J. Steven Harrison" wrote:
> > When I double click on any of the file names I get the following:
> >
> > http://gandalf.sns.com/scripts/C:/Progra~1/Micros~3/VC98/CRT/SRC/OPEN.C
> >
> > I know I must have a configuration error somewhere but I can't find it. I
> > believe it should look more like
> >
> > file::/C|/Progra~1/Micros~3/VC98/CRT/SRC/OPEN.C
>
>My guess is that you haven't used any replace rules.  So, the path that
>SWISH stores is:
>   C:/Progra~1/Micros~3/VC98/CRT/SRC/OPEN.C
>
>because it does not start with a /, your browser interprets that as a
>relative URL and prepends it with the base path of the URL you are
>currently viewing (i.e. your search script is
>http://server/scripts/swish.cgi so the browser prepends
>http://server/scripts/ to all relative URLs).
>
>You need to modify the path swish stores so that when they are output,
>your browser correctly interprets them.  If you want to access them as a
>file, you can try the following:
>
>ReplaceRules prepend "file://"
>ReplaceRules replace "C:" "C|"
>
>moo
>            Ron Samuel Klatchko - Software Jester
>             Brightmail Inc - rsk@brightmail.com
If I do this then all files are local to the machine where the browser is
running. Works great for a browser running on that machine, but when it's
deployed the files that we want developers to be able to search for will
only be on one server. This means that they are not seeing the files on the
remote machine. I don't think this will work in the long run..

Is there a way to get this correct in the .conf file

OR

should I use the solution mentioned below; and if so what is the name of
this helper app that is mentioned? Where do I get it and how do I configure it

Edison wrote:
 > While trying to index my HTML-files I get the following:
 > $ swish-e -c ed.config -S http
 > Indexing Data Source: "HTTP-Crawler"
 > sh: /export/home/autokund/mittran/swish/src/: cannot execute
 > retrieving http://www.bahnhof.se/~mittran/index.html (0)...
 > sh: /export/home/autokund/mittran/swish/src/: cannot execute
 >
 > Obviously my index file has not been indexed. What is wrong?

SWISH-E uses a helper app to download files using HTTP.  It looks like
SWISH is having problems running it.  The error message seems to
indicate that the executable name is being left off but looking at the
source code, I don't see how that's possible.  Anyone else want to
hazard a guess?

moo
            Ron Samuel Klatchko - Software Jester
             Brightmail Inc - rsk@brightmail.com

Thanks in advance for any help!

---
Dr. J. Steven Harrison                       steve@sns.com
45034 Imnaha Court                          (510)623-8651 Voice/FAX
Fremont, CA 94539-6669                   (510)410-3073 Cellular
(510)623-8652 Data
Systems'n'Software                           http://www.sns.com