need error problem assistance

From: mark novak <menovak(at)not-real.facstaff.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed Dec 15 1999 - 18:02:16 GMT
hi all

we've been using swish/swish-e for a long time, and things have
been fine.  we tailored the output of the search results to match
our user population.

http://trace.wisc.edu/

recently, on one of the Red Hat 5.2 linux (2.0.36 kernel) computers
we run swish-e on, started returning an error when attempting a
search.  I've looked at the source files, etc., on two pretty similar
Linux computers, and can not detect any differences that would
lead to this problem.

the error message is the result of a call in the file  "whole.c"
which happens from the following source code.

signal(SIGSERV, badsegviol);

Can someone explain what might be causing this problem?  I program
a lot, but not much on Linux (yet, anyway), so feel free to get technical
in your answer(s).

thanks in advance

mark