Re: RE: stemming

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Nov 19 1999 - 06:42:44 GMT
At 09:58 PM 11/18/99 -0800, SRE wrote:
>This might not be what I expected, but at least it mostly makes sense.
>The confusing part is that 'rocky' gets indexed as 'rocki' !

It doesn't matter what the words stem to.  Rocky could get indexed as a
number and it would still work the same, just as long as the different
versions of the word rocky all stem to the same thing.

>I don't suppose there is any way to know which variant of a word
>got matched, right? I'd like to display that in my results page
>if it's not an exact match, but I'm pretty sure that's not possible.

Swish doesn't know that information -- only the stems are stored in the
index, not the original words.  You could get Swish to tell you the stemmed
search words, but then you would have to manually stem all the words in the
document to find out which words were found.

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org