Re: Search Multiple Indexes from one Search Form

From: Ron Samuel Klatchko <rsk(at)not-real.brightmail.com>
Date: Thu Nov 04 1999 - 22:16:41 GMT
Eric Haymaker wrote:
> Does anyone know of a way to create a form on a unix platform that will
> search multiple indexes?  So that when you enter search words into the form
> and click "submit", two or more indexes would be searched?

Well, you can search multiple indices with a single call to Swish, but
that doesn't really give good results (it's just like running Swish
twice - you get two result sets and I don't believe it's valid to
compare scores between the two results sets).  It would be better to
merge the indices and search on the single merged one.

But if you're willing to accept the problems with multiple indices,
you'll need to have your back end executable (CGI, PHP script, etc.)
modify it's invocation of SWISH.

moo
           Ron Samuel Klatchko - Software Jester
            Brightmail Inc - rsk@brightmail.com