Skip to main content.
home | support | download

Back to List Archive

Was: Please point me in the right direction! Now: It works!!!

From: test account at dte.net <test(at)not-real.dte.net>
Date: Fri Oct 15 1999 - 04:27:56 GMT
YIPPEE!!!!

My thanks to all those who responded to my problem getting swishspider to work!
Let me explain what I did wrong...

My servers are all NT, but I really wanted to setup Swish-e on a Red Hat Linux
box in an attempt to make a slow computer (486 100MHz) usable and to learn
something about Unix based OS's which I've always wanted to do.

Anyways, due to my extreme lack of knowledge with Linux, I didn't know how to
extract the .tar.gz files so I used an NT box to do that and then transferred
the files over to the Linux machine using the SAMBA server installed on it. What
I figured out is that SAMBA (at least the version that came with Red Hat 5.2)
does not honor case when transferring files (i.e. it converts all filename and
directories to lowercase); This of course caused file not found errors in the
Perl libraries, but I went ahead and fixed all the filename problems that the
Perl libraries reported, but still nothing - No more errors reported but still
not working.

I went ahead and took a REAL close look at the Perl libraries I installed and
found about 7 files that still had case problems (I had assumed they weren't
used for swishspider because no errors were reported). I made sure ALL the files
in the library directories had proper case, and voila!! I wish I could say
exactly which file it was, but I changed them all at the same time.

What I learned from this is that I need to figure out how to unarchive the darn
files from the Linux machine, or use ftp to transfer them over instead of SAMBA
:)

Right now I think I am killing my Linux machine... I bit off more than I could
chew and had it index a rather huge mailing list archive (about 33,000
pages)....8 hours later it's still working!!! Oops...

Thanks to all,
Manuel

> > My output looks like this:
> >
> > ---------------------------
> >
> > Indexing Data Source: "HTTP-Crawler"
> > retrieving http://10.137.229.3/index.html (0)...
> >
> > Removing very common words... no words removed.
> > Writing main index... no unique words indexed.
> > Writing file index... no files indexed.
> > Running time: 1 minute, 4 seconds.
> >
> > Indexing Done!
> >
> > ---------------------------
> >
> > 10.137.229.3 is the same machine Swish-E is running on, which has Apache
> > installed and running correctly. Originally swishspider reported errors on
> > missing Perl libraries, but I have installed them all and swishspider reorts
no
> > errors... But no indexing! :(
> >
> > Many thanks... I'm Lost!!
> > Manuel
Received on Thu Oct 14 21:24:02 1999