Re: swish-e 1.3 mangling filenames before indexing

From: Ron Samuel Klatchko <rsk(at)>
Date: Tue Sep 28 1999 - 16:36:12 GMT
Juergen.Puenter@Materna.DE wrote:
> Take this sample directory:
> readme.txt
> test1.txt
> test2.txt
> Indexing it, I get this output:
> Checking dir "./"...
>   adme.txt (no words)
>   st1.txt (4295432 words)
>   st2.txt (4295408 words)
> Now, why does swish strip the first two characters from the names???

I've had a similar thing happen to me a few years back.  If I remember
correctly, it only happened when using cc (moving to gcc fixed it).

Could you try compiling and running the following program:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <dirent.h>

int main()
  DIR *dir;
  struct dirent *dirent;

  if ((dir = opendir(".")) == NULL) {

  while ((dirent = readdir(dir)) != NULL)

  return 0;

Make sure to use the same compiler as you are currently using with
SWISH.  If you have gcc, make sure to try it as well.

           Ron Samuel Klatchko - Software Jester
            Brightmail Inc -