Re: getting some characters & Re: Can swish-e summarize pages

From: Steve van der Burg <steve.vanderburg(at)not-real.LHSC.ON.CA>
Date: Tue Sep 07 1999 - 12:53:55 GMT
If you want to do AltaVista-type "show the first few hundred
bytes of a document as text" summarizing of documents
indexed by swish-e, see:

   http://www.lhsc.on.ca/cgibin/search

I've taken one of the easier ways to do this by not messing
around with the swish-e C source at all.  The index hasn't
changed, but the swishspider has been modified to parse and
store a tiny "abstract" for each document in a GDBM
database, keyed on URL.  My CGI front-end to swish-e then
just merges the list of URLs returned by swish with the
database records (and does some AltaVista-like page
numbering for paged results).

If anyone else would like to do this, I'll clean up the code a bit
and make it available.

...Steve
--
Steve van der Burg