RE: META tags containing dates as text strings

From: David Norris <kg9ae(at)not-real.geocities.com>
Date: Tue Jun 15 1999 - 16:50:05 GMT
> Searching for MetaName=Word
> eg with the following defined:    content = 13/02/1999

Hmmm, very interesting.  I would think that if you search for 13021999 you
might get hits.  I don't think that the - character would help you any.
This is probably a feature instead of a bug.  I think you should be able to
change this behavior by editing a header file.

config.h line 145:
#define WORDCHARS
"abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzŒŠŸ
œš&0123456789"
#Characters permitted to be in words

You might try adding / and any other characters which are needed to this
list and recompiling.

Just as a note, you might look into ISO 8601:1988, "Data elements and
interchange formats -- Information interchange -- Representation of dates
and times."  The format is machine readable and somewhat easily human
readable.  ISO 8601 is the recommended time format for use in HTML since
this format lends itself to easy translation to/from human formats.  I try
to put my dates in either this format or I use the Unix time() and date()
functions to convert datetime in seconds to this format.

Here is the ISO-8601 long format:

YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ssTZD or
YYYYMMDDThhmmssTZD or
YYYYWNNDThhmmssTZD
example:
     19990615T164432Z = June 15 1999 at 11:45:32 US EST
where:
     T    = date-time separator
     W    = year-week separator
     YYYY = four-digit year
     MM   = two-digit month (1 - 12) [January - December]
     DD   = two-digit day of month (01 - 31)
     NN   = Week of the year (01 - 53)
     D    = Day of the week (1 - 7) [Monday - Sunday]
     hh   = two digits of hour (00 - 23) (am/pm NOT allowed)
     mm   = two digits of minute (00 - 59)
     ss   = two digits of second (00 - 59)
     TZD  = time zone designator

The biggest advantage is the datetime shorthand, which I use.  You can omit
the - and : characters since a datetime with a certain number and
combination of characters will always have digits in a given order.  Dates
can be YYYY-MM-DD omitting the T separator.  There are various format
variations which are defined in the specs.  Here is a good explanation:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html

Of course, this format is not Year 10,000 compliant ;)

,David Norris

Home Computer - http://illusionary.tzo.cc/
Page via mail - 412039@pager.mirabilis.com
ICQ Universal Internet Number - 412039