swish++ (was re: various messages on swish-e list)

From: Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars(at)not-real.larsshack.org>
Date: Mon May 17 1999 - 14:09:59 GMT
Howdy,

I've seen you frequent posts to the swish-e mailing lists along these
lines:

  > Switch to SWISH++.  It's far more efficient and faster.

If you follow the list at all, you'll note that I've recently run into
problems with excessive memory consumption by swish-e.  A faster and more
efficient indexer would certainly be an attractive alternate.

I just gave swish++ a try, and while it indeed may be faster, it still
happily consumes memory until it slows by 128M O2 to a crawl due to
swapping.  Trying to limit the amount of memory available to swish++ (via
the ulimit shell command) simply causes it to die when the memory is exhausted.

I'm planning on moving the indexing operations to a spare Linux box.
Unfortunately, this machine has only 32M; given the performance I'm seeing
with 128M, I'm not sure what's going to happen with a much smaller amount
of available memory.

Is there any way to set an upper bound on the memory used by swish++
without limiting the size of the data set that can be indexed?  A reduction
in indexing speed is acceptable.

Thanks,

  -- Lars

--