Re: Swish and SSI/CGI calls in the results?

From: Jerry Stratton <jerry(at)not-real.hoboes.com>
Date: Sun Feb 28 1999 - 18:46:33 GMT
At 9:26 AM -0800 on 2/28/99, you wrote:

>Hey there --
>
>I'm in a bit of a dilemna with getting a search engine to work on my
>site.  I like the way swish works, I can get the site indexed, and I
>can search it, but I can't get the results and/or search form to be
>displayed the way I need it.  You see, my site relies of a few
>server-side includes to work properly...we run a banner rotation
>script, and we also include a few "daily links" files that are called
>from all our pages.  I can't seem to find a way to get them to work
>with any of the swish cgi's...
>
>Any way to get the results file processed by apache as far as SSI goes??

The "easiest" way would probably be to use a .shtml file to display the results instead of using a cgi straight. For example, if you are using /cgi-bin/Search.cgi to display your results, try the following and see if it works:

1. In your search form, the "ACTION" should be "results.shtml". The METHOD should be "put".

2. Create a "results.shtml" based on your standard web page template, and put it in the same directory as your form.

3. Where the data of the web page would go in results.shtml, put:
    <!--#include virtual="/cgi-bin/Search.cgi" -->
   (Assumes Apache)

4. You will probably have to modify the CGI to look in different environment variables for the data; possibly QUERY_STRING or QUERY_STRING_UNESCAPED.

I'm working on the same problem; I have me "real" search page at:

http://www.hoboes.com/Search.html

and my in progress SSI-based page at

http://www.hoboes.com/Search.shtml

Jerry

jerry(at)not-real.hoboes.com    Negative Space  http://www.hoboes.com/jerry/
                                         e-mail help@hoboes.com
"They chose three in the morning because Arthur had heard that you are most likely to get into an accident if you are driving around about three in the morning, and he had a strong suspicion that if they were to find the Earth at all, it would be by accident."--The Shopping Cart Graveyard