Inaccurate ranking?

From: <sam1600(at)not-real.iname.com>
Date: Sat Feb 20 1999 - 23:35:07 GMT
Hello,

Sorry for posting what may be a blatantly newbie
comment/question ;-) but for some reason a search
on a particular keyword always returns an inaccurate
ranking.  This keyword "gmc" occurs at least twice
on every page ( once in a metatag and once in a link )
but more than ten times on a particular page.
( I have a search box on every page, and why
people search for this word when there is a link is
beyond me but they do anyway ;-)

It is a small site with only a few dozen pages
and if I search for this keyword that I know
for sure occurs on a certain page more
times than other pages, the said page is
ranked far down the list.

The command line is simple with just
the -f -w and -m options specified.

I've read in the mailing list that the ran
algorithm takes a few things into account
when ranking but I just can't see why it
would override the total number of
occurrences of a keyword as the most important
criteria.

I've been using Swish ( not Swish-e ) and have
been logging the visitors search keywords
( and this keyword is a popular one... hence
the reason for me testing it ).  I'm not obsessed
with this keyword ;-) i'm just curious how often the
same inacurate ranking is occurring on other words also.

Oh, by the way.  This bad ranking is NOT occurring
with the old Swish.

Comments anyone?

Thanks,

Sam