Problem with spider?

From: Bruce Bowler <bbowler(at)>
Date: Tue Jan 26 1999 - 20:46:41 GMT

I'm a swish-e newbie so forgive me.  I searched the archive but didn't find
anything that looked relevant.  Maybe my expectations are off...

I run swish-e as follows....

# /usr/local/bin/swish-e -S http -c bcb.config
Indexing Data Source: "HTTP-Crawler"
retrieving (0)...
 (122 words)

Removing very common words... no words removed.
Writing main index... 96 unique words indexed.
Writing file index... 1 file indexed.
Running time: 1 minute, 7 seconds.
Indexing done!

It's possible that there are 122 words on the main page, but there are also
lots of links that I would have expected to be followed but apparently

What I would like from swish-e is to give it a starting point (like and have it index all of the local pages
referenced from there, either directly or indirectly.

My config file looks like

	IndexFile ./index.swishe
	IndexName "Bigelow Index"
	IndexDescription "This is the index of our site."
	IndexPointer ""
	IndexAdmin "Bruce Bowler ("
	MetaNames first author
	IndexReport 3
	FollowSymLinks yes
	IgnoreLimit 50 1000
	IndexComments 0
	MaxDepth 0
	Delay 60
	TmpDir /tmp
	SpiderDirectory /usr/users/bowler/swishe/src

I'm using perl 5.00404 and I think I've installed all of the modules that
are documented as being needed.

Any ideas?

Bruce Bowler                             207.633.9600 (voice)
Research Associate                       207.633.9641 (fax)
Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences
West Boothbay Harbor ME  04575