Re: Re: Swish-E New Feature?

From: Yann Stettler <stettler(at)not-real.cohprog.com>
Date: Fri Jan 22 1999 - 23:43:51 GMT
Scott Schultz wrote:

> It's primarily a performance issue, not an inability
> to do a simple array traversal. Swish-e can do it faster and
> easier than the front-end.

Interesting claim. Sorry but I can't accept it myself...
The resources/time needed to transfer such little amount of
data via a pipe between two program is simply not relevant !

Actualy, doing a good front-end could let you gain a lot of
resource/time : Cache the result of the search so that
when the user request the next few results, they can be
returned immediatly without Swish-e having to search the
whole index again.

Cheers,
Yann Stettler

TheNet - Internet Services AG              CohProg SaRL
stettler@thenet.ch                         stettler@cohprog.com
http://www.thenet.ch/                      http://www.cohprog.com/
                              ---**---
Anime and Manga Services                   http://www.animanga.com/