Re: Re: Swish-E New Feature?

From: Valerio Gelpi <vg(at)not-real.blue105.com>
Date: Fri Jan 22 1999 - 19:31:06 GMT
On 22 Jan 99, at 11:10, Mark Gaulin wrote:

> Hi Roy
> Given that swish has to do a complete search no matter how many
> items are to be reported with the results, it does seem like a feature
> that does not need to be inside the swish program itself.
>
> The perl program (or whatever) just has to skip a certain number of
> lines before dumping and the stop parsing lines when the output page has
> the desired number of lines.  These would be nice additions to the
> standard swish perl cgi interface.  Where is that kept on the swish site?
> I see that autoswish is no longer there, but I did not think that the
> "vanilla" perl cgi script was part of that...

Hello Mark and Roy,

I agree that you could handle this feature from the Perl script itself, but
because it is so easy to add to the Swish program itself and it seems like a
natural feature for a web search program, I think it should be implemented
inside Swish. On top of that, performance would probably benefit if the Swish
program, rather than a Perl script, performs the task, mostly when the
returned recordset is big.

Look forward to yours and others opinion.

Valerio