RE: Re: Switch-e and <META DESCRIPTION=...>

From: Scott Schultz <scott(at)not-real.ceweekly.com>
Date: Mon Nov 30 1998 - 19:11:11 GMT
>The speed with which you could access, for example, 35 pages, parse the
>META information and present the search results to the browser would be an
>issue, wouldn't it?

It can be, especially if it's more like 3500 pages. I used a
solution that, admittedly, won't be appropriate
for many applications. One application that I use it for here is to
index resume of subscribers to our magazine. The Meta-Tags embedded in
the resumes contain info like modification date, expiration date,
subscriber name, etc... Since these fields are mostly short and
well-defined,
I created a <TITLE></TITLE> block for each resume that contains the
"qualification data" for each resume. For example, the title might read

<TITLE>19991130-Blow-Joe</TITLE>

to indicate that the subscriber is  first name "Joe", last name "Blow"
and his subscription expires on November 30, 1999. (My actual usage
is a bit more complex, but that's the idea.)

This title is returned in the search results so there's no need to
actually open a file to find the value of the Meta Tag. The script
handling the Swish-e output can explode the title and then make
qualification/sorting decisions at that point instead.

I took it a step further and added a bit of code to Swish-e
itself so that (when appropriate parameters are specified) it
will only return search results that also match certain
elements of the title (like a last-modified date, for
instance). That gets the performance down to how fast the
script module can process the results.

A long answer to a short question, but maybe there are some
useful ideas in there. :^)

Scott Schultz
scott@ceweekly.com