Why spidering (Was: SWISH++ 1.3 released)

From: Paul J. Lucas <pjl(at)not-real.ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon Nov 02 1998 - 21:25:34 GMT
On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Ron Klatchko wrote:

> Paul J. Lucas wrote:
> >
> >         I don't understand why you (presumeably as a webmaster for your
> >         website) wants to use a spider to index somebody else's web
> >         site.

> You're right.  I'll inform Excite, Alta-Vista, et. al. that you see no
> need for it :-)

	They are different since they are in the business of only
	indexing other people's websites: they have none of their own
	documents to index.  Different animal.

> Here's the reason I developed spidering capability.  In an academic campus
> setting, most departments set up their own web server.  There has been
> discussion here at UCSF on creating a single interface that would allow
> surfers to search all campus servers in one go.  Given that many of the
> servers have no searching capabilities, spidering capability was needed in
> order to do this.

	OK, I'll buy that explanation.

> That said, I saw a feature that I needed that I also thought would be
> useful for the community at large.  So I developed it and gave it to the
> SWISH-E team.  That is the model for open source.  Instead of asking why
> feature X isn't in something, why don't you go ahead an implement it.

	To the guy who questioned SWISH-E's and SWISH++'s "open" source
	model, be sure to read the above paragraph several times until
	you understand it.

	- Paul